Who we are and what we do
The Office of the Appeals Advisor (OAA) was formally established by the Workers'
Compensation Board of Alberta in 1992 to provide independent advice, assistance and
advocacy services to injured workers, and their dependants, with respect to Workers'
Compensation entitlements in Alberta.
All of our appeals advisors have been certified in Tribunal Administrative Justice (CTAJ)
through the Foundation of Administrative Justice. As specialists in interpreting and applying
the Workers' Compensation Act and WCB policies, the OAA works independently within WCB to:
- advise injured workers whether or not they have grounds to seek a review of a WCB decision,
- suggest alternatives to filing a review or appeal,
- represent injured workers at any formal hearings on unresolved issues.
The OAA’s primary focus is on resolution prior to proceeding with a formal review or appeal. If a resolution can not be made at an internal review level, the OAA will initiate a request for review on a client’s behalf and act as the worker’s representative throughout the review process: before the WCB, the Dispute Resolution and Decision Review Body and to the Appeals Commission.
We do this at no cost to you - ever.
The sole function of the OAA is to advance the interests of injured workers or their dependants with respect to their entitlements under the Workers' Compensation Act. Combined, our staff offers 390 years of workers’ compensation experience.
The OAA carries out this mandate by providing advice, assistance and advocacy services for injured workers or their dependants with respect to decisions that are under review or appeal.
- The services are provided within the provisions of the Workers' Compensation Act and WCB policies.
- The services provided are focused exclusively on the entitlements of injured workers or their dependants.
- The services themselves are not an entitlement under the Workers' Compensation Act.
The Office of the Appeals Advisor is established by WCB-Alberta to provide independent advice, assistance and advocacy services for injured workers or their dependants with respect to their entitlements under Workers' Compensation Act and in a manner set out in this policy. Their services are available exclusively to injured workers or their dependants who wish to seek a review or an appeal of an entitlement decision made by the WCB or who wish to appeal a determination under section 21(3).